Re: How to encrypt password in pgpass file

From: jesusthefrog <jesusthefrog(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Vipin Madhusoodanan <vipin(dot)madhusoodanan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to encrypt password in pgpass file
Date: 2021-02-24 00:10:32
Lists: pgsql-admin

I can tell you what we used do where I work. I don't know if this is
something which would work for everyone.

We didn't have a static .pgpass file, instead we stored the encrypted
password in another location, and our application generated a .pgpass file
with the plaintext password in it for the purpose of establishing the
connection, then removed the file as soon as possible.

What we do now is used cert-based authentication using a similar process to
create an unecrypted private key file at the last moment, and remove it
immediately.