Re: 2.5TB Migration from SATA to SSD disks - PostgreSQL 9.2

From: David Gibbons <david(at)dgibbons(dot)net>
To: Patrick B <patrickbakerbr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 2.5TB Migration from SATA to SSD disks - PostgreSQL 9.2
Date: 2016-09-02 16:44:07
Lists: pgsql-general

> So is that really possible? Just copy the data between folders? if so,
> i'll probably chose option 2!!!
> Even that is 2.5TB I don't think the copy will take longer than 20
> minutes... and I'd still be able to perform reads...
>
> I'll do some test to see if option 2 can be done :)
>
> Thanks !!! :D

You can actually reduce the time more by pre-syncing to the new location.
something like:

rsync -va /var/lib/pgsql/ /var/lib/pgsql2/
service postgres stop
rsync -va /var/lib/pgsql/ /var/lib/pgsql2/

The second rsync will only copy the deltas from the first, it still has to
go in and determine what needs to be copied/what changed but the bulk of it
can be prepared/migrated before the actual downtime window.