Re: (Might be a bug) locale issue while upgrading data directory from PostgreSQL 8.4 to 9.5

From: Mayank Agrawal <mayankagr009(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: (Might be a bug) locale issue while upgrading data directory from PostgreSQL 8.4 to 9.5
Date: 2017-07-07 06:13:29
Lists: pgsql-general

No, windows has not been upgraded (Windows 7). Moreover, I think it is not
related to windows version, because I tried the scenarios from scratch on a
same machine and on a some windows version.

While working on this issue I notices something. Details are as follows:

On Windows7, I installed the PostgreSQL 8.4 with following *--locale* values

1.

*--locale "English_United States.1252"*

Installation fails, gives same error: 'Locale specified is not
supported.'
2.

*--locale "English, United States"*

Successful Installation, value of '*Show lc_collate*': *English, United
States*
3.

No Value (i.e. parameter *--locale* is not provided during installation)

Successful Installation, value of '*Show lc_collate*': *English_United
States.1252*

If you notice point 1. and 3., locale value can be stored as *English_United
States.1252* but can not be given as a value of parameter *--locale* during
installation. This seems to me as a bug.

In my case, *--locale* parameter was not provided during PostgreSQL 8.4
installation [scenario 3].
Thanks and Regards,
Mayank Agrawal

.