Master-slave failover question

From: "Athanasios | ZenGuard" <athanasios(at)zenguard(dot)org>
To: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Master-slave failover question
Date: 2014-01-03 11:18:32
Lists: pgsql-novice

Dear list,
I hope that everyone has a nice holiday. Currently, I am researching
master-slave automated promotion. I have one question. Let's assume that
the clients connect to the master 192.168.1.1 for read/write traffic and I
have a slave at 192.168.1.2. Assume that the master goes down and that
slave gets promoted to a slave (this I have found out how to do
automatically). How will the clients know to connect to the new master? Any
ideas on this one?