Re: A JOIN question

From: Michael Lewis <mlewis(at)entrata(dot)com>
To: stan <stanb(at)panix(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A JOIN question
Date: 2019-12-30 21:47:53
Lists: pgsql-general

> LEFT join mfg_vendor_relationship on
> mfg_vendor_relationship.mfg_key = mfg_part.mfg_key
> AND
> mfg_vendor_relationship.project_key = bom_item.project_key
> LEFT join vendor on
> mfg_vendor_relationship.vendor_key = vendor.vendor_key

Perhaps I am missing something, but it seems like just a matter of changing
inner join to left so you keep what you already have and augment vendor
information when it exists. I never use right joins (I re-write to always
declare as left) so I am not sure if the right join near the top screws
that up. I might consider using a UNION ALL to combine sets where values
are NULL with left joins, and use plain (inner) joins for the not nulls.