Re: Debugging features needed

From: Michael Lewis <mlewis(at)entrata(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Boboc Cristi <bobocc(at)yahoo(dot)com>, PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-general-owner(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Debugging features needed
Date: 2021-11-05 14:16:09
Lists: pgsql-general

For my purposes, app name isn't long enough so we put a comment at the
start of every SQL that has a unique ID generated in the application. This
ensures that we can tell one connection apart from another even when both
are coming from the same feature/action (applicationName is set to this)
even using connection pooling. Before, we had different requests reusing
the same pid of course and if they happened to have the same appName, we
didn't know it was a new process on app side.

We also log that same request ID to NewRelic and when an app process needs
to use multiple databases, it links those for research of events after the
fact as well.

I would be interested to hear what others are doing.