Re: vacuum is time consuming

From: Michael Lewis <mlewis(at)entrata(dot)com>
To: Atul Kumar <akumar14871(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: vacuum is time consuming
Date: 2021-01-28 18:18:26
Lists: pgsql-general

Assuming that the system is online and in use, you may want to consider
doing analyze first to ensure stats are proper, and then vacuum all
less-used tables that should be quick then larger/more active tables with
the verbose option to see details of why it might be taking time. If you
are seeing multiple index scan steps, then maintenance_work_mem is lower
than ideal. If you are using default vacuum settings, there is no I/O
throttling as I understand the vacuum_cost_delay and vacuum_cost_limit
settings. What is your concern with it taking time? Depending how you did
the upgrade, there may be no (new/special) need to do the vacuum at all
also.