Re: Max connections reached without max connections reached

From: Michael Lewis <mlewis(at)entrata(dot)com>
To: Rob Sargent <robjsargent(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Max connections reached without max connections reached
Date: 2021-12-02 02:08:08
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Dec 1, 2021 at 3:52 PM Rob Sargent <robjsargent(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Also be on the look-out for begin trans; begin trans; etc I read Kumar's
> report as nested transactions. If your gang is doing a transaction per
> row, they need a kick in the rear. Anyone not closing those needs a pink
> slip.

I have seen the second attempt at calling begin seem to be ignored with
"WARNING: there is already a transaction in progress" similar to calling
rollback without a transaction open. Are you stating or suggesting that
calling begin a second time actually is more similar to
creating a savepoint? That would be rather unexpected from the messaging,
at least for me.