Re: Conditional INSERT

From: Michael Lewis <mlewis(at)entrata(dot)com>
To: Michel Pelletier <pelletier(dot)michel(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Conditional INSERT
Date: 2019-03-15 18:17:17
Lists: pgsql-general

> On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 10:55 AM basti <mailinglist(at)unix-solution(dot)de>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I want to insert data into table only if condition is true.
>> For example:
>>
>> INSERT into mytable (domainid, hostname, txtdata)
>> VALUES (100,'_acme.challenge.example', 'somedata');

Alternative to a trigger implementation, if you are generating that INSERT
statement, you can change it to use a sub-select or CTE that contains no
values if the domainid isn't what you like. If you want it to fail with
error, you could add a check constraint. We might need more context on what
you are doing and why to give good advice.