Re: pg full text search very slow for Chinese characters

From: Michael Lewis <mlewis(at)entrata(dot)com>
To: Jimmy Huang <jimmy_huang(at)live(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg full text search very slow for Chinese characters
Date: 2019-09-10 16:10:54
Lists: pgsql-general

>My postgres instance is based on docker image postgres:11 and runs on my
MacBook Pro i7 16GB.

How much ram and such did you give to this vm?

>To my surprise, postgres 11 is extremely slow when creating a full text
index. I added a column of tsvector type and tried to create an index on
that column. Pg could not finish creating a GIN index for a long time and I
had to cancel the execution.I then tried to create a partial full text
index for 500 rows and it took postgres 2 to 3 minutes to create the index.

Did you customize any config? maintenance_work_mem specifically would be
relevant to the time to create an index and default value is only 64MB.
Especially if you are running a spinning hard drive and not ssd, then this
could be problematic.