Re: pg12 - migrate tables to partitions structure

From: Michael Lewis <mlewis(at)entrata(dot)com>
To: Mariel Cherkassky <mariel(dot)cherkassky(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg12 - migrate tables to partitions structure
Date: 2019-09-18 20:08:16
Lists: pgsql-performance

> All the queries uses the vendor product and thats why this column is a
> perfect fit as a partition column.
> My main table is big (10M+) (Product), but other tables can also be
> big(1M+)..

I assume you have query performance problems and are hoping partitioning
will help? Are you read heavy, or write intensive, or both? 10 million
rows, especially if they aren't super wide, doesn't seem like a huge number
to me. Do you have example queries with explain plans that you think would
benefit from the system being partitioned? I just know that as an engineer,
sometimes I like to make use of new tools, even when it isn't the best
solution for the problem I am actually experiencing. How confident are you
that you NEED partitions is my real question.