Re: Query slows when used with view

From: Michael Lewis <mlewis(at)entrata(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Yavuz Selim Sertoğlu (ETIYA) <yavuz(dot)sertoglu(at)etiya(dot)com>, "pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Query slows when used with view
Date: 2019-10-09 15:23:14
Lists: pgsql-performance

> Those are not equivalent queries. Read up on the syntax of FROM;
> particularly, that JOIN binds more tightly than comma.

I see this-

"A JOIN clause combines two FROM items, which for convenience we will refer
to as “tables”, though in reality they can be any type of FROM item. Use
parentheses if necessary to determine the order of nesting. In the absence
of parentheses, JOINs nest left-to-right. In any case JOIN binds more
tightly than the commas separating FROM-list items."
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-select.html

What is meant by nesting? Or binding for that matter? I wouldn't expect
increasing from/join_collapse_limit to be helpful to the original poster
since they haven't exceeded default limit of 8. Any further clarification
elsewhere you could point to?