Re: Slow index creation

From: Michael Lewis <mlewis(at)entrata(dot)com>
To: depesz(at)depesz(dot)com
Cc: Paul van der Linden <paul(dot)doskabouter(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Slow index creation
Date: 2021-02-18 17:24:25
Lists: pgsql-general

> https://www.depesz.com/2010/03/18/profiling-stored-proceduresfunctions/

Thanks for this reference. I enjoy your blog, but haven't made the time to
read all the archives somehow. Stuff doesn't stick very well when it isn't
yet "needed" info besides.

I have seen overhead from 'raise notice' in small functions that are
sometimes called many thousands of times in a single query, but hadn't done
the test to verify if the same overhead still exists for raise debug or
another level below both client_min_messages and log_min_messages. Using
your examples, I saw about .006 ms for each call to RAISE DEBUG with a
client/log_min as notice/warning.