Re: Does the work made by vaccum in the current pass is lost when interrupted?

From: Michael Lewis <mlewis(at)entrata(dot)com>
To: Jean-Marc Lessard <Jean-Marc(dot)Lessard(at)ultra-ft(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Does the work made by vaccum in the current pass is lost when interrupted?
Date: 2020-10-09 14:47:33
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020, 1:16 PM Jean-Marc Lessard <
Jean-Marc(dot)Lessard(at)ultra-ft(dot)com> wrote:

> I have a large table (billions of records) which has not been vacuum and
> bloated.
>
> Vacuum scale factor was left at the default.
>

> I ran a vacuum on a DEV system and it makes several passes (scanning
> heap/vacuuming indexes/vacumming heap) which take more than an hour each.
>
> On a PROD system, I may have to kill the job midway.
>
> Should I reduce the autovacuum_work_mem of my session? Currently 1GB

Increase if you can. You want to maximize the work being done before it
needs to pause.

Have you tuned any settings related to vacuum? If your I/O system can
handle it, turning cost delay very low, especially PG12+ where it can be
less than 1ms, may be helpful. Otherwise you might reduce to 1ms and also
increase cost limit so you do more work before stopping.