Re: Partition with check constraint with "like"

From: Michael Lewis <mlewis(at)entrata(dot)com>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Nagaraj Raj <nagaraj(dot)sf(at)yahoo(dot)com>, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Partition with check constraint with "like"
Date: 2021-05-21 03:24:00
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, May 20, 2021, 8:38 PM Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 02:36:14AM +0000, Nagaraj Raj wrote:
> > Thank you. This is a great help.
> > But "a" have some records with alpha and numeric.
>
> So then you should make one or more partitions FROM ('1')TO('9').

What about 0? Sorry.

Seriously though, this seems like a dumb question but if I wanted a
partition for each numeric digit and each alpha character (upper and
lowercase?) And wanted to avoid using a default partition, how would I use
minvalue and maxvalue and determine which partition of
A to B
B to C
a to b
b to c
0 to 1
Etc... And how to figure out the gaps between 9 and A or z and A or what?

I hope the nature of my question makes sense. What is the ordering of the
characters as far as partitioning goes? Or rather, how would I figure that
out?