Re: WALWriteLocks

From: Don Seiler <don(at)seiler(dot)us>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WALWriteLocks
Date: 2021-04-29 16:11:44
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 1:38 AM Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
wrote:

> My gues is that you have too many active client connections, and you are
> suffering
> from contention between the many backends that all want to write WAL.
>
> In that case, use a connection pool to limit the number of active
> connections.

We do have pgbouncer in place already.

Thanks for the replies so far.

What I really want to know in this case is if there is some other PG
operation that accounts for a WALWriteLock wait, or is it always an I/O
(write) to the WAL file storage, and we can focus our investigation there?

Don.

--
Don Seiler
www.seiler.us