Re: ERROR: invalid memory alloc in Pg 9.6.6

From: Don Seiler <don(at)seiler(dot)us>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ERROR: invalid memory alloc in Pg 9.6.6
Date: 2018-04-13 16:13:20
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 11:09 AM, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:

> If you can reliably reproduce this with either pg_dump or psql, then the
> next step would perhaps be jumping in with gdb to see where that error
> is being hit..

I forgot to follow-up yesterday. It seems like my issue was caused by a bug
with the pg_qualstats extension that I was using in conjuction with the
POWA extension. There was already a similar issue reported on their tracker
at https://github.com/powa-team/powa/issues/104

It seems that high TPS stress testing on Wednesday afternoon triggered the
bug. When the stress testing tailed off, the error messages stopped
happening and I was able to run pg_dump without errors. I removed those
extensions shortly after. The authors have put out a bug fix but I can't
use this system to test their fix and my sandbox isn't available for the
same HA server stress test that we were doing on Wednesday.

Don.

--
Don Seiler
www.seiler.us