Standby: Use WAL instead of Streaming for now

From: Don Seiler <don(at)seiler(dot)us>
To: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Standby: Use WAL instead of Streaming for now
Date: 2017-08-29 21:08:15
Lists: pgsql-admin

This afternoon we've experienced an odd network issue where streaming
replication and WAL file rsync performance are very poor. The standby is
currently over 2 hours behind when normally it's under a minute.

Oddly, our NetApp mirror replication performance is just fine. We mirror
our WAL archive location so I could just copy the WAL files from the mirror
to our standby host very quickly.

The problem now is how do I tell the standby to use the WALs and not
streaming replication? Do I just comment out primary_conninfo? Can I then
do a pg_reload_conf() or do I need to restart the standby DB? None of those
things?

My searches so far for this kind of thing seem to focus on stopping
recovery altogether, which isn't what I want. I just want it to use the
local WAL files for now until we get the networking issue resolved.

Don.

--
Don Seiler
www.seiler.us