Re: Mixed Locales and Upgrading

From: Don Seiler <don(at)seiler(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Mixed Locales and Upgrading
Date: 2020-04-29 20:10:37
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 11:41 AM Don Seiler <don(at)seiler(dot)us> wrote:

> Follow-up question, the locale setting on the host would still be set to
> en_US (as would the postgres and template0 databases). Should I look to
> change that locale on the system to en_US.UTF-8, or even just for the
> postgres user that the DB cluster runs as? What are the ramification for
> doing (or not doing) so?

One more question around the GUC settings for locale. It is currently set
to this:

# select name,setting from pg_settings where name like 'lc%';
name | setting
-------------+---------
lc_collate | en_US
lc_ctype | en_US
lc_messages |
lc_monetary | C
lc_numeric | C
lc_time | C

Since I'm not changing the postgres or template0 databases (leaving those
as en_US/LATIN1), do I keep lc_collate/lc_ctype as en_US? It's just the
template1 and application database that I've set to en_US.UTF-8.

I'm also struggling to see how lc_messages is an empty string. It is
commented out in postgresql.conf but suggests 'C' will be the default. The
OS locale LC_MESSAGES is set to en_US on the primary but I also see it is
set to en_US on the newer replica hosts. What value would be used for
lc_messages? I'm trying to create an empty DB with these same settings but
if I omit --lc-messages it uses the OS locale value, and I can't set it to
an empty string.

Don.

--
Don Seiler