Re: FATAL: invalid value for parameter "TimeZone" after upgrade from 9.2 to 9.6

From: Don Seiler <don(at)seiler(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FATAL: invalid value for parameter "TimeZone" after upgrade from 9.2 to 9.6
Date: 2017-11-17 16:40:04
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 10:31 AM, Don Seiler <don(at)seiler(dot)us> wrote:

> My working guess right now is that the older JDBC was ignoring that
> user.timezone parameter when the connection was made. Would be interested
> in finding out when change happened to confirm.

Looks like this was actually answered in that other thread:

> I ask because a look at the PG JDBC code shows this, which did not
> show up until Sept 22, 2011. Not sure what release, but it looks like
> 9.2+:
>
> // Construct and send a startup packet.
> String[][] params = {
> { "user", user },
> { "database", database },
> { "client_encoding", "UTF8" },
> { "DateStyle", "ISO" },
> { "extra_float_digits", "2" },
> { "TimeZone",
> createPostgresTimeZone() },

Looks like that is in ConnectionFactoryImpl.java but the current git repo
history only goes back to 2015. But at this point I'm satisfied in knowing
that upgrading from JDBC 9.1 to a newer JDBC introduced the change we see.

Thanks,
Don.

--
Don Seiler