Re: pgBackRest backup from standby

From: Don Seiler <don(at)seiler(dot)us>
To: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgBackRest backup from standby
Date: 2018-02-19 19:05:14
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 12:39 PM, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net> wrote:

> I read "open it for testing (or backups in this case)" as letting
> recovery complete and promoting the cluster to a master before taking
> the backup.
>
> Don, is that the case? If it is, I think there's a problem with or
> without a timeline switch. If you confirm the backup is being taken as
> above then I'll detail my concerns.

Note that this is just for creating a couple of one-off backups to restore
for our dev and pre-prod environments. Given that, I was going to open a
new clone as its own cluster and take backups from that. The data would be
the same though and suit purposes of the dev and pre-prod refreshes.

If I were taking backups for the purpose of production backups, I would not
do things this way. That is the eventual plan but right now we aren't ready
to make the changes necessary in the production environment.

--
Don Seiler
www.seiler.us