Re: template0 needing vacuum freeze?

From: Don Seiler <don(at)seiler(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: template0 needing vacuum freeze?
Date: 2020-05-16 17:51:53
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 12:44 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> So it's unsurprising that the freeze age increases until autovacuum
> decides to do something about it. I'm suspicious that your alert settings

are too aggressive and are notifying you before autovacuum kicks in.
> You should *not* have had to do anything manual about this, unless you
> have frobbed your autovac settings to the point of brokenness.

Shouldn't autovacuum have kicked in when the age of a table reaches 200M
(our autovacuum_freeze_max_age is left at that default)? I see other tables
in our app DB triggering the autovacuum "to prevent wrap-around" when they
reach 200M. That's what had me concerned to see template0 with an age over
1B and no autovacuum even trying to clean up for it.

Don.

--
Don Seiler
www.seiler.us