Re: Bulk Insert into PostgreSQL

From: Don Seiler <don(at)seiler(dot)us>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Srinivas Karthik V <skarthikv(dot)iitb(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bulk Insert into PostgreSQL
Date: 2018-06-27 20:36:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 6:25 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

>> Other parameters are set to default value. Moreover, I have specified the
>> primary key constraint during table creation. This is the only possible
>> index being created before data loading and I am sure there are no other
>> indexes apart from the primary key column(s).

When doing initial bulk data loads, I would suggest not applying ANY
constraints or indexes on the table until after the data is loaded.
Especially unique constraints/indexes, those will slow things down A LOT.

> The main factor is using COPY instead INSERTs.

+1 to COPY.

--
Don Seiler
www.seiler.us