Re: template0 needing vacuum freeze?

From: Don Seiler <don(at)seiler(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: template0 needing vacuum freeze?
Date: 2020-05-19 02:11:03
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 8:51 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Do you have an idea why autovac was failing to clear the issue on that one
> problem table, though?

Before I intervened, the maintenance_work_mem was only 16MB (they had
encoded and carried over PG 8 defaults in the chef recipe). I bumped it to
512MB before kicking off my freezeThat's the big factor I can think of.
This is a huge table obviously as well. By the time it caught my attention
there were 850M dead tuples to be cleaned up. My VACUUM FREEZE has been
running just just about 5 days and is probably half way done. We shouldn't
be at risk of hitting wraparound though (only 52% there).

Don.

--
Don Seiler
www.seiler.us