Re: Streaming Replication Networking Best Practices?

From: Don Seiler <don(at)seiler(dot)us>
To: Rui DeSousa <rui(dot)desousa(at)icloud(dot)com>
Cc: Johannes Truschnigg <johannes(at)truschnigg(dot)info>, pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Streaming Replication Networking Best Practices?
Date: 2018-05-14 20:22:08
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 2:53 PM, Rui DeSousa <rui(dot)desousa(at)icloud(dot)com> wrote:

> What is the latency between the two sites? That is going to dictate how
> much potential throughput a given TCP/IP stream could use. You may need
> tune your TCP/IP window to increase the throughput.

Ping shows a pretty solid latency of 49-50 ms.

47 packets transmitted, 47 received, 0% packet loss, time 46057ms

> I would check the network to ensure there are no errors occurring; i.e.
> dropped packets and retransmits.

Looking at ifconfig, I do see dropped RX packets on the iface that talks to
the replica. I don't see any dropped packets on the replica iface that
talks to the primary. The local LAN iface for both also has many dropped
packets.

> Do you have QOS enabled and if so how is that handled? Does it just drop
> the packets? As that would cause the TCP/IP to backoff and retransmit.

I'll follow-up with my sys admin team here. I believe there is QoS enabled
but don't have details yet.

Don.

--
Don Seiler