Re: Can we only add values to enums?

From: Euler Taveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com(dot)br>
To: brian(at)traceme(dot)com, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can we only add values to enums?
Date: 2018-03-16 03:33:54
Lists: pgsql-docs

> I need to add a value to an enum, so I found this page, which answered my
> question. However, I found it quite confusing that it only documents adding
> a value. I would expect it to also document how to remove a value from an
> enum? Is this not possible? If not, I consider it a bug. But either way, if
> it is not possible, you should explicitly document it on this page.

If it is not document, this means that it is not supported. It is not
a bug. It is by design. Read the discussion about this feature at [1].
Removing a enum value requires a table rewrite. I'm not sure it is
worth a note.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/4C1B95E2.6090508@dunslane.net

--
Euler Taveira Timbira -