Re: Extract transaction from WAL

From: Michael Loftis <mloftis(at)wgops(dot)com>
To: Jill Jade <jill779ks(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Extract transaction from WAL
Date: 2019-11-21 14:23:50
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 04:56 Jill Jade <jill779ks(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am new to Postgres and I have a query.
>
> I have updated a table which I should not have.
>
> Is there a way to extract the transactions from the WAL and get back the
> previous data?
>
> Is there a tool that can help to get back the transactions?

The normal way is to use a backup along with point in time recovery. But
this requires you’ve setup backups and are archiving WALs F/ex with
pgbackrest. You restore the last full backup from before the incident and
play back to a time stamp or transaction ID. Either to the original server
or elsewhere...in this case I would probably restore elsewhere and extract
the data I needed using tools like pg_dump to restore the selected data.

I’m personally unaware of other methods which may exist.

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Jill
>

> --