pg_upgradecluster transfering only a portion of the data

From: Dávid Suchan <david(dot)suchan(dot)ds(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_upgradecluster transfering only a portion of the data
Date: 2023-02-27 15:44:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello, I tried upgrading pg db from version 9.6 to 14 by using
pg_upgradecluster command. I freshly installed pg 14 -> ran pg_dropcluster
14 main --stop -> and then upgraded using pg_upgradecluster 9.6 main.
After a successful prompt finished, I checked the database and the size
went from originally 20gb (in 9.6) to 700~ mb (in 14) while the disk space
available shrank by about 2gb meaning that there is still the 20gb of data.
I tried the entire process twice (since I had created an AWS EC2 snapshot
for this) and the result was the same.
Is my solution to migrating old pg version to the new one wrong? Before
this I tried the same process with around 300mb of data and all of that
transferred successfully. If I did not understand the pg_upgradecluster
command, what would be the best practice when upgrading pg version with
huge amounts of data(could be a terabyte)?