row number with in cursor

From: Kevin Duffy <kevind0718(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: row number with in cursor
Date: 2016-10-07 00:05:52
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hello All:

I need your kind assistance, to learn if it is possible
within a cursor to know what row you are on.
Something like this:

for currDateRate IN currDR( rate_in, start_date ) LOOP

raise notice ' currDateRate.rate_date: %', currDateRate.rate_date ;
raise notice ' currDateRate.lag_r_value: %', currDateRate.lag_r_value ;
raise notice ' currDateRate.rate_value: %', currDateRate.rate_value ;
raise notice ' currDateRate.overnight_r: %',
currDateRate.overnight_rate_return ;
tr_index := tr_index *( 1+ currDateRate.overnight_rate_return ) ;
raise notice ' tr_index: %',tr_index ;
-- this does NOT work
raise notice ' row number %', currDateRate%ROWNUMBER ;

End LOOP;

for testing purposes would like to break out after twenty records.
Yes I know I could do a simple counter like this:

rtn_cnt := rtn_cnt +1;
if rtn_cnt >= 20 then
return rtn_cnt;
END IF;

thamks for your attention to this matter

KD