Re: pg_upgrade in primary/standby architecture

From: Venkata Balaji Nagothi <vbnpgc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Murthy Nunna <mnunna(at)fnal(dot)gov>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade in primary/standby architecture
Date: 2014-03-18 23:14:35
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 11:49 PM, Murthy Nunna <mnunna(at)fnal(dot)gov> wrote:

Hi Venkata Balaji,

> Thank you!
>

> Yes, streaming replication cannot be setup between two different versions.
> That is true.
>

> I am looking to upgrade both primary and standby with minimal outage to
> application..... I want to know if it is possible. If it is not possible, is
> there any architecture where we can minimize upgrade related outage?

In my previous email, i suggested/asked the possibility of using Slony
replication in your environment. It depends on lot of factors (database
size, number of tables, pl/pgsql code etc..) though. Please let us know
your thoughts on this. We can probably move further on this discussion.

Venkata Balaji N

Sr. Database Administrator
Fujitsu Australia