Re: bg writer went away after reload

From: Venkata Balaji Nagothi <vbnpgc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Matthew Chambers <mchambers(at)wetafx(dot)co(dot)nz>
Subject: Re: bg writer went away after reload
Date: 2014-03-10 23:03:05
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 8:30 AM, Matthew Chambers <mchambers(at)wetafx(dot)co(dot)nz>wrote:

> Hi, just wondering if this is normal, DB is operating just fine.
>
> I upped bgwriter_lru_maxpages to 200 and issued a reload. Normally, I'd
> see the bgwriter constantly churning as one of my main I/O using processes,
> but now I have:
>
> postgres: wal writer process
> postgres: checkpointer process
>
> The wal writer seems to have taken over. Does this make sense?

What WAL writer does is completely different from the way bgwriter
functions. These two critical background processes of PostgreSQL performing
independent I/O operations independently.One cannot take over another.

which version of Postgres is this ?

Do you see anything in the Postgres logs ? Do you see any message which
indicates that reloading of the new configuration in postgresql.conf file
was successful ?

Venkata Balaji N

Sr. Database Administrator
Fujitsu Australia