Re: Postgres Logical Replication - how to see what subscriber is doing with received data?

From: Shaheed Haque <shaheedhaque(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Muhammad Ikram <mmikram(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Jaskiewicz <mjaskiewicz(at)ghx(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres Logical Replication - how to see what subscriber is doing with received data?
Date: 2024-09-02 07:42:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Muhammad,

On Mon, 2 Sep 2024, 07:08 Muhammad Ikram, <mmikram(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi Shaheed,
>
> Maybe these considerations could help you or give any hint to the problem ?
>

> Check if wal_receiver_timeout being set to 0 could potentially cause
> issues, like not detecting network issues quickly enough. Consider
> re-evaluating this setting if you see connection issues.
>
> If you notice that some data is missing on subscriber then could you
> increase max_slot_wal_keep_size on publisher so that WALs are not deleted
> until they are applied on subscriber.
>
> Do you have flexibility to increase max_worker_processes and
> max_logical_replication_workers, work_mem and maintenance_work_mem on
> subscriber (In case bottleneck exists on subscriber)
>
> If there's significant lag, consider whether it might be more efficient to
> drop the subscription and re-initialize it from scratch using a new base
> backup, depending on the data volume and how long it might take for the
> existing replication to catch up.

Thanks for the kind hints, I'll certainly look into those.

My main interest however was with the "visibility" question, i.e. to get an
understanding of the gap between the two ends of a replication slot,
ideally in human terms (e.g. tables x records).

I understand the difficulties of trying to produce a meaningful metric that
spans two (or more) systems but let's be honest, trying to diagnose which
knobs to tweak (whether in application, PG, the OS or the network) is
basically black magic when all we really have is a pair of opaque LSNs.