How to make PostreSQL utilities honor home directories?

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How to make PostreSQL utilities honor home directories?
Date: 2022-09-01 22:01:02
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Everyone,

We are having a heck of a time getting PostreSQL utilities to honor
home directories. For example, when I execute this script:

sudo -H -u postgres PGPASSWORD=${password} \
psql -h "${hostname}" -U "${username}" -d "${database}" \
--command="..."

It produces failures:

could not change directory to "/home/jwalton/godojo": Permission denied

/home/jwalton is my home directory. The postgres user does not have
access to my stuff. The postgres user's home directory is
/var/lib/pgsql .

Reading through the `psql --help` options and searching on the web is
not turning up any hits.

We are also observing the errors when using pg_isready .

How to make PostreSQL utilities honor home directories?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff