Re: Add maling list message counts to Commitfest app

From: Sehrope Sarkuni <sehrope(at)jackdb(dot)com>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add maling list message counts to Commitfest app
Date: 2019-07-23 18:44:15
Lists: pgsql-www

On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 8:36 AM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> wrote:

> I don’t think there is a reliable correlation between the length of the
> thread
> and the complexity of the patch (the existance of bikeshedding as a concept
> kind of proves that).

I agree it's far from perfect, but it does give some idea of how much
background or discussion there is on a topic. Anyone trying out a patch
would want to read through the entire thread first and this could help find
shorter ones.

LoC is also not a very truthful metric for complexity, but I agree that
> would
> no doubt the nice to have (although the list of changed files is the part
> that
> appeals to me). It is as you say slightly more complicated though.

Anything code related would be generally more useful, and not just to a
beginner. I figured the mail counts would be easier to add though as it's a
single number without any parsing.

> I agree that it would be nice if patches suitable for beginners where
> marked in
> order to lower the barrier to entry, but I don’t have any answers on how
> to do
> that.

Yes, short of someone more seasoned manually tagging things, I doubt
there's a general solution. The counts idea seemed like low hanging fruit
that might help.

Regards,
-- Sehrope Sarkuni
Founder & CEO | JackDB, Inc. | https://www.jackdb.com/