Re: Windows installation problem at post-install step

From: Ertan Küçükoglu <ertan(dot)kucukoglu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Sandeep Thakkar <sandeep(dot)thakkar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Windows installation problem at post-install step
Date: 2024-07-21 23:58:11
Lists: pgsql-general

Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, 21 Tem 2024 Paz, 23:27 tarihinde
şunu yazdı:

> I guess this is where EDB installer issues should go:
>
> https://github.com/EnterpriseDB/edb-installers/issues

Thanks. I just added a new issue there.

2. Some existing database clusters which had been installed with the
> name "Turkish_Turkey.1254" became unstartable when the OS upgrade
> renamed that locale to "Turkish_Türkiye.1254". I'm trying to provide
> a pathway[2] to fix such systems in core PostgreSQL in the next minor
> release. Everyone affected probably already found another way but at
> least next time a country is renamed this might help with the next
> point too.

I was also hit by that OS update.
There is a Microsoft tool for creating a locale installer
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41158
Using that tool and adding a second locale Turkish_Turkey.1254 (name before
Microsoft update) in the OS can fix your broken PostgreSQL.
I believe most people simply choose this path.
There are also several blogs/articles written in Turkish about the problem.

3. I'd also like to teach initdb to use BCP47 names like "tr-TR"
> instead of those names by default (ie if you don't specify a locale
> name explicitly), and have proposed that before[3] but it hasn't gone
> in due to lack of testing/reviews from Windows users. It seems like
> that doesn't matter much in practice to all the people using the
> popular EDB installer, since it apparently takes control of picking
> the locale and explicitly passes it in (and screws up the encoding as
> we have now learned).

If I am not mistaken BCP47 names are already used in Linux systems.
Using them would make PostgreSQL use the same locale names across Linux and
Windows systems.
I can help with the testing part. Let me know the details, please.

Thanks & Regards,
Ertan