Re: Showing primitive index scan count in EXPLAIN ANALYZE (for skip scan and SAOP scans)

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Showing primitive index scan count in EXPLAIN ANALYZE (for skip scan and SAOP scans)
Date: 2024-08-28 13:54:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Aug 28, 2024 at 9:25 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Might make sense to restrict this to VERBOSE mode, too.

If we have to make the new output appear selectively, I'd prefer to do
it this way.

There are lots of small problems with selectively displaying less/no
information based on rules applied against the number of index
searches/loops/whatever. While that general approach works quite well
in the case of the "Buffers" instrumentation, it won't really work
here. After all, the base case is that there is one index search per
index scan node -- not zero searches.

--
Peter Geoghegan