Re: Vacuum ERRORs out considering freezing dead tuples from before OldestXmin

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Vacuum ERRORs out considering freezing dead tuples from before OldestXmin
Date: 2024-07-22 18:22:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jul 22, 2024 at 2:13 PM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> It's hard by now (i.e. 17+) because you need substantial amounts of rows to be
> able to trigger it which makes it a hard fight to introduce.

I didn't think that it was particularly hard when I tested the test
that Melanie committed.

> And the cost of
> setting the GUC limit lower is essentially zero.

Apparently you know more about TID Store than me.

If it really is trivial to lower the limit, then I have no objections
to doing so. That would make it easy to fix the test flappiness issues
by just using the much lower limit.

--
Peter Geoghegan