Re: When Update balloons memory

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: When Update balloons memory
Date: 2021-12-15 00:02:23
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-general

On Tue, Dec 14, 2021 at 3:28 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Uh ... it seems that you are writing as though "giving the hint"
> means saying that the column value changed. That seems quite
> confusingly backwards to me, as that is/ought to be the expected
> assumption.

That's not what I meant. When I say "give the hint", I mean pass
"indexUnchanged = true" to aminsert(). This is interpreted within
btinsert() as "the incoming index tuple is a duplicate of at least one
index, so perform a bottom-up index deletion pass if and when the
alternative is splitting the leaf page". In practice the hint always
has to be treated as a noisy signal about what might work, as a
strategy of last resort, with costs that are imposed on non-HOT
updaters.

--
Peter Geoghegan