Re: REINDEX : new parameter to preserve current average leaf density as new implicit FILLFACTOR

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: John Lumby <johnlumby(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: REINDEX : new parameter to preserve current average leaf density as new implicit FILLFACTOR
Date: 2019-07-09 17:47:25
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 10:31 AM John Lumby <johnlumby(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Yes, I see that. But surely "making splits occur less often" is a desirable
> objective in itself, is it not? And I believe that a parameter to preserve the "steady-state"
> density in high-traffic indexes would help achieve that goal, wouldn't you agree?

Anything that reliably reduces page splits without hurting space
utilization is well worthwhile. I can't see how what you describe
could have that effect, though. If you expect the leaf density to be
the same after a REINDEX, then why bother at all? There is no reason
to think that that will be more effective than simple vacuuming.

--
Peter Geoghegan