Re: once more: documentation search indexing

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Michael Christofides <michael(at)pgmustard(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: once more: documentation search indexing
Date: 2022-03-16 16:01:22
Lists: pgsql-www

On Wed, Mar 16, 2022 at 7:19 AM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:
> If there is consensus on this approach, it's been ready for awhile and
> collecting dust[1]. I'm OK with pushing it -- I've used this before in a
> few different situations and have pushed for this method for a few years
> -- but I want to ensure the other folks on the web team are comfortable
> or at least willing to try it out and see.

A thread that I came across on Twitter recently:

https://twitter.com/laurencerowe/status/1484322796863836160

Simon Willison is a co-creator of Django.

The thread links to:

https://til.simonwillison.net/readthedocs/documentation-seo-canonical

See also:

https://docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/custom_domains.html#canonical-urls

I'm not an expert on Webdev by any means, but I will say this: if
there is a defacto Django-ecosystem solution for this exact problem
with documentation SEO (which this arguably is), then why wouldn't we
use it?

--
Peter Geoghegan