Re: pgsql: Validate page level checksums in base backups

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-committers <pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Validate page level checksums in base backups
Date: 2018-04-03 18:45:03
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 11:29 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Also, scribbling on tables as sensitive as pg_class is just asking for
> trouble IMO. I don't see anything in this test, for example, that
> prevents autovacuum from running and causing a PANIC before the test
> can complete.

+1

> Even with AV off, there's a good chance that clobber-
> cache-always animals will fall over because they do so many more
> physical accesses to the system catalogs. I'd suggest inducing the
> corruption in some user table(s) that we can more tightly constrain
> the source server's accesses to.

I've simulated quite a few novel corruption scenarios using pg_hexedit
in the past year. It would be nice if pg_prewarm offered an easy way
to evict from shared_buffers for repeated testing. Obviously you can
accomplish the same thing in other ways, but that isn't ideal, and
particularly hinders automated testing.

--
Peter Geoghegan