Re: Adding skip scan (including MDAM style range skip scan) to nbtree

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Adding skip scan (including MDAM style range skip scan) to nbtree
Date: 2024-07-02 16:25:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jul 2, 2024 at 9:40 AM Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 2, 2024 at 9:30 AM Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> wrote:
> > > EXPLAIN [ANALYZE] SELECT COUNT(*) FROM test1 WHERE n > 900_000_000;
> >
> > For example, this first test query goes from needing a full index scan
> > that has 5056 buffer hits to a skip scan that requires only 12 buffer
> > hits.
>
> Actually, looks like that's an invalid result. The "char" opclass
> support function appears to have bugs.

Attached v2 fixes this bug. The problem was that the skip support
function used by the "char" opclass assumed signed char comparisons,
even though the authoritative B-Tree comparator (support function 1)
uses signed comparisons (via uint8 casting). A simple oversight. Your
test cases will work with this v2, provided you use "char" (instead of
unadorned char) in the create table statements.

Another small change in v2: I added a DEBUG2 message to nbtree
preprocessing, indicating the number of attributes that we're going to
skip. This provides an intuitive way to see whether the optimizations
are being applied in the first place. That should help to avoid
further confusion like this as the patch continues to evolve.

Support for char(1) doesn't seem feasible within the confines of a
skip support routine. Just like with text (which I touched on in the
introductory email), this will require teaching nbtree to perform
explicit next-key probes. An approach based on explicit probes is
somewhat less efficient in some cases, but it should always work. It's
impractical to write opclass support that (say) increments a char
value 'a' to 'b'. Making that approach work would require extensive
cooperation from the collation provider, and some knowledge of
encoding, which just doesn't make sense (if it's possible at all). I
don't have the problem with "char" because it isn't a collatable type
(it is essentially the same thing as an uint8 integer type, except
that it outputs printable ascii characters).

FWIW, your test cases don't seem like particularly good showcases for
the patch. The queries you came up with require a relatively large
amount of random I/O when accessing the heap, which skip scan will
never help with -- so skip scan is a small win (at least relative to
an unoptimized full index scan). Obviously, no skip scan can ever
avoid any required heap accesses compared to a naive full index scan
(loose index scan *does* have that capability, which is possible only
because it applies semantic information in a way that's very
different).

FWIW, a more sympathetic version of your test queries would have
involved something like "WHERE n = 900_500_000". That would allow the
implementation to perform a series of *selective* primitive index
scans (one primitive index scan per "c" column/char grouping). That
change has the effect of allowing the scan to skip over many
irrelevant leaf pages, which is of course the whole point of skip
scan. It also makes the scan will require far fewer heap accesses, so
heap related costs no longer drown out the nbtree improvements.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-Add-skip-scan-to-nbtree.patch application/octet-stream 112.6 KB