Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Jelte Fennema <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, "shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Jesse Zhang <sbjesse(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Date: 2023-10-17 01:57:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 16, 2023 at 6:32 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> But it's *not* a hard rule --- we explicitly rejected mechanisms
> that would make it so (such as a precommit hook). I view "koel
> is unhappy" as something that you ought to clean up, but if you
> don't get to it for a day or three there's not much harm done.

It's hard to square that with what you said about needing greater peer
pressure on committers.

> Right now I think we just need to raise
> committers' awareness of this enough that they routinely run
> pgindent on the files they're touching. In the problem cases
> so far, they very clearly didn't. I don't see much point in
> worrying about second-order problems until that first-order
> problem is tamped down.

Realistically, if you're the committer that broke koel, you are at
least the subject of mild disapproval -- you have likely
inconvenienced others. I always try to avoid that -- it pretty much
rounds up to "hard rule" in my thinking. Babysitting koel really does
seem like it could cut into my dinner plans or what have you.

--
Peter Geoghegan