Re: 11.7. Indexes on Expressions

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Chris Lowder <clowder(at)hey(dot)com>, Pg Docs <pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 11.7. Indexes on Expressions
Date: 2021-12-22 22:30:55
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Wed, Dec 22, 2021 at 2:13 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> I think our _big_ missing information is a definition of HOT updates and
> that updating a column involved in an index disables HOT updates.

I *strongly* agree that that's the single most important piece of
information, by far. Though we could and should have several
paragraphs about it.

We never get around to explaining HOT at all, which is just bizarre,
considering its importance. Many very popular user-level talks have
mostly just talked about this subject (e.g., a talk from Grant
McAlister from a couple of years back comes to mind).

--
Peter Geoghegan