Re: Latest developments in psycopg3

From: Daniel Fortunov <postgresql(at)danielfortunov(dot)com>
To: Denis Laxalde <denis(dot)laxalde(at)dalibo(dot)com>
Cc: Daniele Varrazzo <daniele(dot)varrazzo(at)gmail(dot)com>, psycopg(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Latest developments in psycopg3
Date: 2021-02-08 22:38:10
Lists: psycopg

> > 1) We can provide a feature to select the type of cursor that is not
> > much dissimilar from psycopg2
> > 2) Do we need DictCursor/RealDictCursor? ISTM that one of the two
> > would be sufficient? Possibly an object inheriting from a Python dict
> > instead of emulating it so that e.g. json.dumps()
>
> Inheriting from dict is strange because we only need read access. So
> rather collections.abc.Mapping, I think.

One advantage of using a real dict is that it leaves the door open for the
caller to mutate the results as they consume them. A little impure, I know,
but one practical example I can think of would be where you want to augment
your results with additional data (coming from a different source, outside
the database).

RealDictCursor gives you the flexibility to do this, whereas
collections.abc.Mapping would force you to construct a new dict instance
for every row in order to get the same result.