Re: Extract date portion of a datetime field

From: Scott Ford <scott(dot)ford(at)bullfrogpower(dot)com>
To: JORGE MALDONADO <jorgemal1960(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Extract date portion of a datetime field
Date: 2018-04-18 14:04:19
Lists: pgsql-novice

I've used something like this in the past:

SELECT COUNT(p.index_value)
, p.create_datetime::date
FROM people p
GROUP BY p.create_datetime::date

Simple, but it works.

Scott

On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 10:01 AM JORGE MALDONADO <jorgemal1960(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a table with a datetime field which saves (of course) date and time
> information. I need to design a query to count the number of records of
> each date without taking into account the time portion. I have seen that I
> can use functions like EXTRACT but I do not find how to extract the whole
> date only.
>
> I will very much appreciate your feedback.
>
> Respectfully,
> Jorge Maldonado
>
> --

Scott Ford
Director of Development

*Bullfrog Power Inc.*366 Adelaide Street West, Suite 701
Toronto, ON M5V 1R9

t: 416.300.8443 <(416)%20360-3464>
f: 416.360.8385 <(416)%20360-8385>

w. bullfrogpower.com <http://www.bullfrogpower.com/>