Re: Adding PGInstaller to the Downloads section

From: Umair Shahid <umair(dot)shahid(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Adding PGInstaller to the Downloads section
Date: 2018-10-16 18:12:36
Lists: pgsql-www

On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 1:20 AM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 10/8/18 9:11 AM, Umair Shahid wrote:
> >

> > Hi. Any updates on this?
> >
> > If there is specific feedback on how to make this patch better, please
> > let me know. Thanks!
> We're sorry this is taking some time to get to - with the major release
> and some other larger pgweb projects, in addition to some of the
> discussion on how to set this up, we have not been able to prioritize
> it. We will get to this in the weeks after the PG11 launch.
>
> Our plan is to focus on doing some restructuring on the downloads page -
> which there appears to be consensus - before adding additional
> installers. Getting this done will allow us to add the installers
> shortly, if not immediately, after.

Thank you for the explanation Jonathan, though I am not sure I quite get
it. The Downloads page needs restructuring, which apparently needs to be
done regardless of whether Postgres Installer is listed there. I don't
understand why Postgres Installer should be held up because of it.

We moved quickly to address all concerns raised in the first round. It
sends a rather discouraging message from the community if I find out about
this decision more than a month after I sent the revised patch, and that
too after repeated reminders.

I believe this puts Postgres Installer at a disadvantage, and without good
reason. I would urge you to kindly reconsider. Thanks!

--
Umair Shahid
Head of Marketing & Products