Re: shared_buffers smaller than max_wal_size

From: Vladimir Mihailenco <vladimir(dot)webdev(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: shared_buffers smaller than max_wal_size
Date: 2017-09-25 09:10:32
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks again - for some reason I thought that each page should be fsynced
separately...

I am running ZFS and going to try following config on 32gb server:

shared_buffers = 512mb (previously was 6gb)
max_wal_size = 8gb
zfs_arc_max = 24gb

i.e. run with minimal shared buffers and do all the caching in ZFS. As I
understand it now such config can provide better results since data will be
cached once in ZFS.