Re: Built-in plugin for logical decoding output

From: Jignesh Shah <jkshah(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Hernandez <aht(at)ongres(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Euler Taveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com(dot)br>, Gregory Brail <gregbrail(at)google(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Built-in plugin for logical decoding output
Date: 2017-09-25 19:08:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 11:37 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
wrote:

> On 09/25/2017 11:31 AM, Alvaro Hernandez wrote:
>

> Whether or not they are included in a managed environment is generally
>>> based on two things:
>>>
>>> 1. Safety (why RDS doesn't allow certain C extensions)
>>> 2. Community/Popularity (Exactly why RDS has PostGIS)
>>> A. Demand with a prerequisite of #1
>>>

>> This is very clear. Now tell me: how many output plugins do you see
>> included in RDS. And in GCP's PostgreSQL? Azure Postgres? Heroku?
>>

> From RDS:
>
> Logical Replication for PostgreSQL on Amazon RDS
>
> Beginning with PostgreSQL version 9.4, PostgreSQL supports the streaming
> of WAL changes using logical replication slots. Amazon RDS supports logical
> replication for a PostgreSQL DB instance version 9.4.9 and higher and 9.5.4
> and higher. Using logical replication, you can set up logical replication
> slots on your instance and stream database changes through these slots to a
> client like pg_recvlogical. Logical slots are created at the database level
> and support replication connections to a single database.
>
> PostgreSQL logical replication on Amazon RDS is enabled by a new
> parameter, a new replication connection type, and a new security role. The
> client for the replication can be any client that is capable of
> establishing a replication connection to a database on a PostgreSQL DB
> instance.
>
> The most common clients for PostgreSQL logical replication are AWS
> Database Migration Service or a custom-managed host on an AWS EC2 instance.
> The logical replication slot knows nothing about the receiver of the
> stream; there is no requirement that the target be a replica database. Note
> that if you set up a logical replication slot and do not read from the
> slot, data can be written to your DB instance's storage and you can quickly
> fill up the storage on your instance.
>
> """
>
> I don't see why others wouldn't be available either. In fact, I am not
> sure why you couldn't use the JSON ones now. (Although I have not tested
> it).
>
> JD

Also to add, Amazon RDS for PostgreSQL does supports non-core plugins.
Wal2json output plugin for logical decoding is supported for versions 9.6.3+
and 9.5.7+ (link
<http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonRDS/latest/UserGuide/CHAP_PostgreSQL.html#PostgreSQL.Concepts.General.version963>)
.

Regards,