Re: Using varchar primary keys.

From: Tim Uckun <timuckun(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Julian <tempura(at)internode(dot)on(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Using varchar primary keys.
Date: 2013-04-01 05:17:36
Lists: pgsql-general

> Natural Keys have a purpose but when do they exist in the database?

In my case it's the tags. Table tags has only two columns id and tag. Each
one has a unique index. I have many other similar lookup tables. For
example things like order_status, item_type etc.

> What about the Natural Keys of an external source? Should that be stored
> in a lookup table along with the integer based Surrogate Key?
> Maybe I'll call it "bars_pks".

I always keep those. The API's I expose to clients and partners allow them
to modify the records they send and I let them refer to items by their own
primary keys. This has always worked out well for me.

> --Spelling error.
>
> UPDATE tags SET tag = 'foo' WHERE tag = 'fu';
>
> This will fail unless you ON UPDATE CASCADE.

Yes of course you'd need the on update cascade. Then again maybe I don't
even need that tags table. Tags could just be a view (select distinct tag
from child_tags). I am not saying that's efficient or desirable but it's
possible.